pictures from my little kitchen ❤
Original recipe from COOKPAD
- Chicken Thigh with bone (2)
- Water (enough to cover meat)
- Milk (about 300 mL)
- Butter (1 tbsp)
- Flour (1 tbsp)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Mushrooms (i used shimeiji) (1 pack)
- Cabbage (1/4)
- Pre-poach the chicken for about 40 minutes until tender in water to cover. Keep the poaching liquid, which is full of umami.
- Melt the butter over low heat, add the flour and stir so as not to create any lumps.
- Continue stirring and cooking, taking the pan off the heat occationally so as not to burn the roux.
- Add a little milk and mix well so as not to create any lumps. Don’t let the milk boil. Keep it on low heat.
- When it forms a paste add a little more milk and mix in well. Continue mixing and adding the milk, taking care not to let it boil.
- Add some salt and pepper and the special sauce is finished.
- Add the precooked chicken, the poaching liquid, mushrooms and vegetables, and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes, and it’s done!
This is a really yummy dish! It tastes really similar to those milk seafood noodle soup that can be found in a lot of bubble tea/Taiwanese restaurants. The original recipe says it is suppose to be creamy, but for me, it seems more like a soup like dish. I boiled some udon and had it with this recipe. It also would taste great with white rice!
Definitely recommend making this for a cold night 🙂