Original recipe from yet again my fav –Just One Cookbook (never fails)
Yields 3-4 servings
- 3/4 lb (1 pkg) thinly sliced beef for shabu shabu
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 2 shiitake mushrooms (*I prepared but I forgot to add this time…)
- 1 small potato
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Shiso Garlic Soy Sauce (click link)
- 3-4 Servings Japanese rice
- 1 Tbsp. sake
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Cut the meat into strips. Slice onion and shiitake mushrooms thinly. Cut potato into thin strips. In a medium bowl, combine seasonings and mix well.
- In the medium bowl, add meat and mix well with hands.
- Sprinkle corn starch and mix with hands again.
- In a non-stick frying pan heat oil on medium high heat. Corn starch will easily stick to the pan, so I would recommend using non-stick frying pan. Add the onion and potato and cook until they are soft.
- Add the meat and shiitake mushrooms in the pan and cook thoroughly until the meat is done (*shiitake is missing from the picture below).
- Add sugar and Shiso Garlic Soy Sauce and mix all together.
- Cook for a few minutes. Put rice in a donburi bowl and serve the beef on top of the rice. Take out shiso from the container and cut into thin strips. Put them on top of the beef and serve immediately.