pictures from my little kitchen ❤
Original recipe from Vanillyn
Yields around 10 muffins
130g unsalted butter, at room temperature
70g caster sugar
200g adzuki bean jam (I used 220g), at room temperature
2 medium eggs, at room temperature
150g cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
170ml unsweetened evaporated milk
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with 10 cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the butter to soften. Add in the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the adzuki bean jam, follow by the eggs, one by one and mix until well combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Add in the evaporated milk and fold until thoroughly combined. Try not to overmix the batter.
- Fill each muffin cup to about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
I love “red bean ice” and thought topping off the muffins with condense milk would make a great twist especially as the muffin itself isn’t that sweet. My asian family LOVED it as it was moist and not on the sweet side. I think next time I would probably add a tad bit more milk (just a splash more) as I like my muffins to be really moist. And I would probably add a bit more sugar and a bit more red bean (strong red bean flavor). Perhaps the red bean azuki can that I purchased was just not sweet enough? Not sure. Or maybe i just have a real strong sweet tooth. This is a great recipe and I definitely recommend you follow the recipe above at least ONCE before you start modifying it to your liking!