Picture from my little kitchen ❤
Original recipe from the kitchen of Christine
*see my updated notes below after making it again!
- 700 gm chicken wings – i think i just threw in 20 wings?!
- 1/2 carrot, cut into chunks – i just threw in a bunch of baby carrots
- 1 stalk spring onion, chopped up
- 5 slices ginger – i used canned minced ginger – estimated
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed – i used canned minced garlic – estimated
- 1/2 cup Coco-cola
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice wine
- Pepper, to taste
- Cut chicken wings into two parts, keep the wing tips intact. Blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes to remove any blood and fat. Drain well.
- Heat some oil in wok (or pan), saute ginger, garlic and spring onion until fragrant.
- Add chicken wings and carrot, saute and continue to cook until lightly brown. Pour in the seasoning and coke. Bring to a boil and continue to cook for 20 to 25 minutes, uncovered, or until sauce thickens and chicken wings are caramelized. Add more water if necessary. Remember to taste by yourself while cooking in this step. If you’re satisfied, it’s done.
Definitely thought this was a super cool dish. C’mon – COCA COLA ?!?! Who knew coca cola could give such a unique taste. I’m going to make this all the time now. I have a feeling since I up-ed the amount of chicken wings, I should definitely add a bit more darker soy sauce. As you can see – it didn’t pick up as much color compared to Christine’s picture. And then I will water it down if it gets too salty. This dish kinda reminded me of those Chinese braised stews but thanks to COKE there is a twist in flavors. I can’t describe it. It definitely doesn’t taste like coke – but it’s just… DIFFERENT and yummy. And you will notice from above – i didn’t really follow the directions exactly and it still turned out good. Great advice from Christine – “Remember to taste by yourself” as soon as you begin to throw in the seasonings and adjust to your taste.