Pictures from my little kitchen ❤
Recipe From the kitchen of : http://thatwinsomegirl.blogspot.ca
Chocolate Malt Cupcakes
adapted from The Culinary Chronicles
makes approximately 30 cupcakes – for me it made 26 to be exact, but probably cause I like my cupcakes to be full (I fill the batter in the cup to 3/4)
For the cupcakes:
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup unsweetened dutch-process cocoa powder
½ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1½ cups malted milk powder
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the buttercream:
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
½ cup malted milk powder
4 tablespoons unsweetened dutch-process cocoa powder
5 cups confectioner sugar, sifted
*Chocolate Covered Malt Balls for garnish (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together flour, cocoa, both sugars, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together milk and malted milk powder until powder is dissolved.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat flour mixture, milk mixture and oil until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add sour cream and vanilla, and beat just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each halfway (or in my case, 3/4 full). Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, 18-20 minutes.
- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare frosting. In a large mixer bowl, whip the butter and shorting for several minutes until very light and fluffy. Sprinkle in malted milk powder and cocoa powder. Whip for 1 minute. Slowly add the powdered sugar a few spoonful at a time, letting it incorporate until the frosting becomes thick and stiff.
- Fill bag with the frosting and pipe large swirls on top of cupcakes. Top with candies. Enjoy!
So it was my dear friend Winnie’s birthday yesterday (and her husband), along with my husband’s friend – Tony. Winnie requested for chocolate flavored cupcakes – so I thought this would be something interesting to try. I was looking at Bailey flavored cupcakes too – but decided nevermind. I DO NOT LIKE CHOCOLATE. I know – I am strange. Something about chocolate that turns me off. So I didn’t even try it after I was done making them. hahaha.
Super nervous when I brought them out for the folks – but it was a hit. I cut down the sugar by maybe 10% of the cupcake recipe (can’t give an exact of how much sugar I used). Then I cut down the confectioner sugar by only adding enough sugar to make the consistency I want to pipe. 5 cups is insanely sweet, and I learnt my lesson from the pink lemonade buttercream I made last time. Maybe already have Diabetes now. -_-“
And yes, as people age – we prefer less sweet…especially Asians. So all the asian people LOVED it.
Final verdict – Yummy and sweet. The malteser garnish looks good eh? Oh yes – and this was one of the most moist cupcakes I have made so far. I baked if for 19 minutes to be exact. Do try !~
PS. This is what it looks like without cream on top
and voila –